Great to meet you all. Thanks for listening! I've added some notes below to help get you off the blocks and recap on some of what we discussed at the Tribe meet up. If you feel that you are in a position to move forward with your online marketing and want to take the next step, please take a moment to fill in the form below.
Everyone is different and will have different levels of experience so please don't stress about the entries below, just share with me where you are with your online presence and we can go from there. Depending on your needs I may be able to create a course that can cater for small groups as well as individuals.
As I explained my website development platform of choice is Wordpress. WordPress is an open-source software package and is free to everyone around the world. I can help you build a website using this software and give you the tools to update yourself. However with most things nothing is ever quite 'free' there are costs to consider, domains and hosting for a start and of course ongoing maintenance. Wordpress is ever evolving so the core application is constantly updated so this needs to be updated and treated with care. Wordpress is fantastic but needs a little bit of regular love, just like your car, it needs a service every now and again!
There are tons of other site builder options out there, Squarespace being one of them. It's up to the individual, so do your research and make sure right for you.
A cost effective way that I work with small businesses is by buying pre-made themes and reskinning them. Basically, like buying a new house and redecorating to suit your taste. You pick a theme that you like the structure of and then you make it yours through your brand application, colours, typography and imagery. This is less time consuming in the development stakes and gets you a credible/well built site up and running with a smaller financial investment. If this is something you are interested in finding out more about please tick the box below.
Setting your website goals are key to moving forward.
For a website to be successful and stand out from your competitors you need to be clear on its purpose. This is your first step when building any website.
- What are the main goals for the website?
- How will that website be nurtured to achieve its potential over time?
- How much time can you invest in maintaining the site - be realistic!
- How much money can you invest in your online platform, don't forget to include costs for domain names, hosting and maintenance.
- Do you want to be really hands on and be able to update everything yourself?
- Is it a simple shop window site to showcase your talent that you will update each season?
- Do you want to start blogging lots and connect with your social media?
- Maybe it is a static site to backup your social media presence?
- Do you want to monetise the site and sell products/services through it?
- Do you have lots of imagery to fill the site or are you struggling for content?
Your website is a powerful tool and capabilities are endless so dig deep and work out what works for you and your vision for your business. I'm a self confessed geek but get that not everyone thinks that way when it comes to websites so if things aren't clear yet, don't panic! Websites don't have to be scary, you can smash this I promise!
Love and pretty pixels xSx